Tuffy, author of the Beagle Blog

Friday, March 2, 2012

Coming home

Coming home / five years ago (posted 3/2/12)

My name is Tuffy, and I'm an 8-year old, tri-colored Beagle with a mostly square-ish jaw. Kind of like a movie star, I think. I'm very handsome if I do say so myself, and Patti tells me all the time that I'm her handsome boy. I look in her eyes and try to tell her I understand what she's saying to me, but I know she doesn't get it. But I adore her because she rescued me.


My personal history is that I used to live in the Valley, yes, folks, I was Valley trash, and my servant, Patti, or mom as I call her, decided to bring me to the urban scene although I've never gotten out in it much.

My previous family had kids that I loved but no one cared it could break their hearts and mine by letting me go. I love kids and would really like to get out to play with them, but mom doesn't have kids, just some other dumb Beagles. More on that later. So I just look at the kids in our cul de sac from afar, but wish I could go run around with them especially when there's lots of snow.

The lady where I lived in the Valley told Patti over the phone that they were moving. When Patti came out to the Valley to meet me, the man said his wife didn't want me in the house. I don't understand that because I tried to behave nicely. I was very discreet when I lifted my leg in the house and tried to only do it on the carpet so it wasn't noticeable, and it wasn't unless someone wasn't wearing shoes and stepped in it. I did not poop inside, I don't care what anyone said. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I have a bad knee with the tendon pulled out of the middle of the knee, and a leg that appears to have been broken in multiple places. That's what mom found out when she had it x-rayed. She had been told I probably fell off a porch, but if I could talk, I'd tell her it most likely happened when someone kicked me. I have a bad rib, too, and she found that herself.

I made up to Patti trying to tell her I really wanted to go with her. I gave her “the look” that said please take me with you. But I knew she couldn't because she'd come out to see me on a motorcycle, and I've never ridden on one before and didn't want to start then.

The family was asking $400 for me, damaged as I am, and I didn't know if Patti would take me. I didn't limp while she was there, but the guy told her I did sometimes. Eventually she worked out a deal and I moved to her and Biker Bill's house (except he wasn't there at the time and didn't find out about me until just before he came home from a hunting trip and that's a whole 'nother story), for a payment of $100. Thank you, thank you to the guardian angel of Beagles! I knew I'd be in Beagle heaven and I am.

When mom brought me to my new home in South Anchorage I came to her with nothing but a collar and an old leash. Knowing that sometimes we dogs have digestive issues when our food is changed, I made sure that whatever she fed me stayed down and didn't go through me in an unacceptable way. I didn't want my mom to think she had made a bad deal, so I behaved. Well, mostly. I did have gas. Sorry about that.

I lifted my leg on mom's couch in the first few days, you know, just letting everyone know this was my house. I was living with three female Beagles at the time but you just never know when another male would show up. So I marked my territory. I should have been more discreet since mom saw me and let me know that was not acceptable behavior. I've never done that again. I did try pooping but that didn't go over well either, so I don't usually do that now unless I'm really caught short.

I live with three other Beagles, although I'm sure I'd rather be an only Beagle. Well, maybe not. I'm pretty social.
More later. I'm tired and need a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment